Monday, June 11, 2012

Homemade Zucchini Bread

I got two patty squashes from my colleague Patrick two weeks ago. Super cute squashes but I had no idea how to cook them so I just kept them in fridge for almost two weeks. Finally, I decided to use them to make some zucchini bread.

Before making my move, I had this short conversation with Alex 'cos we agreed to not do baking in summer. Who wants to bake in summer? :b It's simply too hot in Texas. 

Rui: I am gonna make some bread this weekend.
Alex: Go for it!
Rui: They will need to be baked for 40 - 60 minutes.
Alex: Oh, well. Our A/C will be running all night long....but go for it.
Rui: :-D

So, Saturday night after dinner I began to make my zucchini bread. The whole process was quite simple except for the grating zucchini part. Too bad I don't have a grater so I had to grate it using a blender (The blender does has this function but it simply doesn't work that well). The rest of the steps just simply included pouring this and that to the mixer and mixing them well.

After pouring the batter into prepared pans and let them bake for 50 minutes. My zucchini bread is ready for tasting. Really good and moist, and after all, not that sweet.

This is the recipe (Mom's Zucchini Bread on allrecipes.com) I used to make the zucchini bread.

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp ground cinnamon (I didn't have it so I didn't put cinnamon)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I put 1 cup olive oil)
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar (I reduced it to 1 cup sugar)
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (more is ok)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Direction: 
  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Well, I used two pans with different sizes 'cos I don't have two 8 x4 inch pans.
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl and add them to the creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined.
  4. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 40 to 60 minutes (I baked 50 mins and let it sit in the oven for 10 mins) or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

      Btw, I love our Kitchen Aid stand mixer. :) We received it from my brother and sister-in-law as our wedding gift (Thank you guys!). I wasn't sure how I would use it but thought it would be nice to have it in the kitchen. It turned out to be a great kitchen appliance. No more hand mixing!


      No comments:

      Post a Comment